I’m starting to plan for the rest of the year. In August I’ll flay back to Virginia and attend classes at Virginia Tech for the Fall semester. In the end of October, I’m flying up to Philadelphia for the SWE National Conference. Then after the Fall semester ends I trying to decide want to do. I thought about just staying in Virginia alone at the apartment and relaxing. I thought about flying back to LA and essentially being alone at the house. Then I thought about going to Vegas for a few days then flying to LA for the New Year and then head back to Virginia. Then I though why not go somewhere else. Maybe somewhere I’ve never been with my wife so there aren’t bad memories. So looking at places that are pretty cheap from Virginia. I decided on Toronto. Round trips look around 350 dollars and I found a hotel for less than 100 dollars a night. And it would be nice to get my passport stamped before I need to get it renewed in 2017.
So that is where I’m thinking about my travel plans for the rest of the year.
Right now before my summer classes start I’m getting all my gaming out. I started with Fallout 4, but I didn’t enjoying. I think i”m the only person that didn’t like Fallout 4. So I went back to my classic standbys, Skyrim and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.
Right now I’m been playing Borderlands, I’m going through the second play through and just blowing people people up and getting better guns.
And that is my update.
Dare I say that I’m feeling better. I still have a bit of a cough but I feel like I can breathe well enough to join the world of the living again.
Now I need to go take care of my errands that I have been putting off. Mostly to the market and the bank. I’m sure there are other things but I’ll remember them when it is too late.
I also have a couple of boxes to ship back to my apartment in Virginia. Thankfully that I can just leave them at the front door for the postal carrier to pick them up.
Yesterday was the SWE-LA PDC (Personal Development Conference) I wish I was feeling better yesterday but I just wasn’t there. It would have been a good chance to see some friends in a much happier setting than at the funeral. Also SWE-LA gave a scholarship in my wife’s name at it (I think) and I would have liked to have been there. But why should I put others health at risk for that. So I stayed home.
But that is all that has been happening in the last week or so. At least I got sick before these summer classes started.
The problem with researching WWII is that there are a lot of books written on the war. So most students will use these books. While there is nothing wrong with that for an overview of the war, but if you want to encourage students to think critically of the war, if student are using only secondary sources someone else is influencing their thoughts toward the war. So I found this website that is an index of primary sources of WWII.
When I taught WWII as a teacher I tried to use only primary sources so students could make a clear choice about the war in their opinion.
I went to my cousin’s wedding on Saturday. I was starting to feel better and now my throat hurts like it did when I first got sick. My coughing is still pretty rough. I’m guessing I’m it is time to start my diet of cold meds and tea and try to feel better.
I was invited to a conference on Friday, I declined because I’m still feeling sick but I’m hoping I can see if they have room for me later in the week if I feel better. Well I better go back to bed.
I’ve been home a lot since my wife died. Part of it is I’ve had to be home to take care of things, but most of it is that I really don’t want to go out and do the things I like doing without here. Almost every where I go in Los Angeles has an attachment to her, it was probably somewhere we had gone together, or talked about going. Because we thought we had the red of our lives to do things together. But that is neither here nor there.
So I’ve been spending a lot of time online, meeting some new people, keep family and friends updated of everything that is going on, and keeping updated on things going on back in Virginia.
But the problem is I think I have been using it as a crutch, using as a way to feel better, but the problem is that when I don’t here from people I just feel lower then I did before. So…
The plan is to try to go out more, try to have some fun on my own. I doubt she would want me to dwell behind a screen when I can go out and live life.
Let’s see where life can take me…
Over the last few years I’m stopped watching as much tv and start listen and watching more podcasts. Now I have a pretty large list of podcasts I’m subscribed too and always looking for new ones. So I’m going to list the ones I listen too and hopefully get some new suggestions.
- After Things – This started as the post show to Weird Things, but they broke it out into its own podcast.
- Apple Byte – A podcast with Brian Tong that talks about the good and bad in the Apple universe.
- Clockwise – Four tech stories with four voice always in 30 minutes of less.
- CNET First Look – A quick review of new products.
- CNET How To – Quick how to videos, usually how to set up phones and other devices.
- CNET News – Tech news updates.
- CNET Update – Daily recap of the days tech news.
- Coverville – A podcast that plays covers.
- Current Geek – The weekly proceedings of the Frogpants all-stars.
- Daily Tech News Show (DTNS) – A tech podcast by Tom Merritt.
- Dear Veronica – Sadly this show is ending but it was a weekly podcast by Veronica Belmont.
- Film Sack – Four guys get together to discuss bad movies.
- FSL Tonight – Sports radio for a made up fantasy game.
- Googlicious – A review of the latest happenings in the Google world.
- Grumpycast – Three guys (one of them in spandex) sitting in barber chairs being grumpy
- Hotline Monday – It is your drive time call in show with Justin R Young and Scott Johnson
- Hypothetical Help – It is a help show but all the help is purely hypothetical
- JuRY – It is a one mic show where Justin Robert Young talks about whatever he likes.
- Major Spoilers – They spoil the best in geek culture.
- The Morning Stream – It is a daily radio morning show but better with Scott Johnson and Brian Ibbott.
- Night Attack – A totally Not Safe for Work comedy show hosted by Brian Brushwood and Justin Robert Young <>
- Podcast Without Pretense – The best podcast of 2014.
- Politics Politics Politics – Justin Robert Young’s take on the American presidential election of 2016.
- Rocket -Countdown to excitement! Every week Christina Warren, Brianna Wu and Simone de Rochefort have accelerated geek conversation. Tech, comics, movies, games and books, no galaxy is off limits!
- The Talk of Shame – Comedians tell an embarrassing story.
- Tek Thing – Patrick Norton and Shannon Morse talk tek.
- Tell It Anyway – Jennie Josephson invites friend to tell stories around a theme.
- Top Five – Four guys and each bring a top 5 list around a theme.
- We Have Concerns – Jeff Cannata and Anthony Carboni discuss things that concern them.
- Weird Things – Brian Brushwood, Andrew Mayne, and Justin Robert Young talk about weird things.
Just pics of us at San Fernando Valley Engineers Council Banquet.
I can’t believe it has been 100 days since I lost my wife. Things have calmed down in these last 100 days. I don’t spend my days making phone calls and going to different places taking copies of the death certificate to ensure things are taken of.
I’m no longer fighting with T-mobile over switching my cell phone into my own name. The mail for her is starting to get smaller. But most importantly life goes on.
I started learning how to take care of the bills and other adult stuff that she did through out our relationship. I registered for summer classes. I have mostly cleaned up the garage and slowly doing the long list of chores she had from me. Even in the afterlife she is still calling the shots.
I’ve been going out with friend and traveling on my own. I would like to think that is what she would have wanted. For me to keep living not to hole myself up in my room and mourn for the rest of my life.
Well 100 days down and the rest of my life to go. I miss you.
This website has tons of cheat sheets. I always will go here and grab a cheat sheet for whatever I’m working on. It has a lot of different programing languages As a sample I’m including one of the C++ cheat sheets in this post.
Source: Cheat Sheet : All Cheat Sheets in one page